Is it SS or something else?

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
CMike357

Is it SS or something else?

Post by CMike357 »

I just purchased a NM SBH 7 1/2 in. barrel, 44 mag. Serial number 82-56404. I posted on another firearm forum and it started a controversy on whether it was SS as it was made in 1978. I contacted Ruger CS and they suggested this forum for more information as they did not have it. So, after a bunch of online research I've learned that SS SBH were made in different years depending on barrel length. So my question is, this pistol was made in 1978, what was the first year Ruger made this pistol in SS?
I tried to attach a picture, but I couldn't get it to work.
flattop44

Re: Is it SS or something else?

Post by flattop44 »

To the best of my knowledge the first Stainless Supers with 7-1/2" barrels were made in 1982. Couple of questions, did you buy this gun new from a dealer? If not, do you think that its possible that someone polished the blue off of it to look like stainless? I have seen that done on other Rugers.
FT44
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

As already mentioned, pretty sure 1982 was the first year Super Blackhawks in stainless were released, both the KS47N and KS410N

What I have for the early 44mag stainless years:

1982 - KS47N SBH 7.5” Barrel
1982 - KS410N SBH 10.5” Taper Barrel
1983 - KS411N SBH 10.5” Bull Barrel, Target Site
1989 - KS45N SBH 5.5” Barrel
1994 - KS458N SBH 4.62”
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

CMike357, I sent you an email, check it out.
FT44
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Could be ANY ONE OF THE ONES WE ,IN OUR SHOP BACK THEN, HAD DONE IN "Metalife SS" by Ron Mahovsky over in Reno,PA at that time, as some customers wanted the 'stainless' look on their guns and it was not available, I';m certain other shops and folks had Ron do his finish to those guns, I still have my Dan Wesson 15-2 VH6 in the Metalife SS finish, as the Dan Wesson did NOT offer any stainless guns in that period, mid 70's, when the old man was still alive ( Mr Wesson) ;)
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Metalife is a type of hard chrome finish that is probably the best known among a few companies that do/did it. I recently picked up an RB32 (6530) that I thought was SS at first. It is still a fairly rare and handsome revolver and lighter than SS. It came with the O box and contents and aftermarket wood grips. I put the black lams on it. Love the 32s and plan to carry this one on a trek into the Superstitions later. I'm not sure how the finish affects value but it is probably negative.
Resizer_17073510928811.jpeg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The earliest KS47N I've ever noted is 84-62857. Ruger started shipping stainless 10-1/2" guns at the same time, the earliest noted being 84-66086.
Your gun is way to early to be stainless.
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Yes, of course, Chad. I realized that later. I'm still getting educated.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

This OM Single-Six was Hard Chromed, I really like the finish, but have no idea how durable HC is.

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Great looking six-gun.
I've read that some HC finishes are harder than others, with Metalife about the hardest and maybe the highest quality. I don't know for sure that mine is actually Ron Mahovsky's work or not. I think Metalife is known for its satin finish, like mine, which is very attractive IMO.
What was the cost of this treatment back then?