Express Rifle Information

Anything Ruger related.
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

I'm considering doing a Novice Class display of Express Rifles at Tulsa. The display theme will address serial number prefixes and push feed vs controlled feed systems. Examples of Express Rifles with both feed systems and serial number prefixes 780, 781 and 760 will be displayed. I was planning on my display containing a couple comments such as...."Early Express Rifles were made using prefixes 780 and 781 and Later Express Rifles used prefix 760." Another statement might be....."Most Express Rifles have controlled feed systems, but a few early rifles are push feed". To try and support such statements, I lettered my rifles. Ruger's letter confirmed the serial numbers I provided are Express Rifles, and the letter also included the model number, caliber and shipping date. The shipping dates are the problem because they indicate that during the first 10 years of production, all 3 serial number prefixes were used. For example, one of my 780 prefix rifles was shipped on 2002, the last year of production. Shipping dates also indicate that both push feed and controlled feed were used during 14 years of production. I believe the date of manufacture/assembly would better support any statements I make in my display. I will greatly appreciate suggestions of where to look for date of manufacture, or even suggestions to not include this type of information in my display.
Thanks, Don
flattop44

Re: Express Rifle Information

Post by flattop44 »

Don, sounds to me like you have a good plan for your display. I think the information you have discussed is interesting and relevant. Have you looked at the Red Eagle News Exchange Volume 2 for any info it mught provide on mfg dates, etc.? If not you may want to check it out, it may provide some additional information about the Express for you.
Looking forward to seeing your display in Tulsa.
FT44
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Don... I think if your write up what you just said, and elaborated a little, it would be enough. As FT44 mentioned check out the Red Eagle News, I find them to have a lot of useful info. Also, if you have a catalog or two showing the fist and second year they were introduced you may find some helpful info. They (the catalogs) also make a fine addition to your display.

Look forward to see you and your display in Tulsa.

O M CRAZY
Vince
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

FT44 and O M Crazy thanks for the advice. I've not looked at the Red Eagle News. I'll see if I can get back issues to check out for Express Rifle info. I do have Ruger catalogs for the years the rifle was in production, but no other information.
Thanks again,
Don
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

If you how to contact Terry Wolosek, he has the most knowledge of anyone I know on these Express rifles. If you don't, PM me and I will give you his phone#.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
douglastwo

Post by douglastwo »

Thanks El Numero Uno, I know Terry and have his number.