P89P

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
stwbll1

P89P

Post by stwbll1 »

I just acquired a pistol that has P89P stamped on the slide, but when confirming the serial number with Ruger, they say that is a P95DAO. Is definitely not a P89, but the slide marking has me confused. Anyone have any ideas?
flattop44

Re: P89P

Post by flattop44 »

If you could post some pictures it would be good.
FT44
stwbll1

Post by stwbll1 »

Here are some pictures of the mystery pistol. I have heard of P89M for the Chicago PD, but not a P89P. Linda Deprofio is looking into it at 1 Lacey Place for me to see if she can find out why it is roll marked this way. She confirmed that it is a P95DAO that was sold to one of their Law Enforcement distributors and that it was test fired on July of 1997.
Attachments
P89P Caliber Side Small.JPG
P89P Serial Side Small.JPG
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Well, it sure is a P89P! thanks for joining ROCS. Linda is the only who can know; also maybe the Law Enforcement Distributor. or even the Chicago Police Dept.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
stwbll1

Post by stwbll1 »

ElNumeroUno wrote:Well, it sure is a P89P! thanks for joining ROCS. Linda is the only who can know; also maybe the Law Enforcement Distributor. or even the Chicago Police Dept.
Have you worked with Linda before?
stwbll1

Post by stwbll1 »

Just received an update from the records department at Ruger:

" Good afternoon. I want to keep you updated. I will have your answer early next week. I am compiling the information on your pistol but there is one more person I need to discuss it with and they are on vacation until next week. Just as soon as I speak with them, next week, I will forward you my findings."

Can't wait to see what she digs up!
JeHB36

Post by JeHB36 »

All I can say is wow. This is clearly marked wrong. The P89 is a bit larger than this. Cool find.
stwbll1

Post by stwbll1 »

Here is the response that I received today from the Ruger record department:

"Our records reflect that this pistol was shipped as a KP95DAOW, model 3098, stainless, P95 pistol, double-action only. Anecdotally, we understand that the original thinking was to market this pistol to Law Enforcement and use a “P” designation. (The “P” was to denote “Police.”) However, we cannot confirm this from official company records."

I responded asking if it could be a sales sample or perhaps just a factory mistake. I'm sure neither one of those situations will be or can be confirmed with records, so this might be a "to be continued" episode until I can track down someone else with a similar pistol or someone who may know something from the factory floor. Only time will tell!
JeHB36

Post by JeHB36 »

Like I said before, cool find. I have read several books about Ruger's and have never seen nor heard of a P85P. Want to give it to me?? :twisted: LOL
stwbll1

Post by stwbll1 »

JeHB36 wrote:Like I said before, cool find. I have read several books about Ruger's and have never seen nor heard of a P85P. Want to give it to me?? :twisted: LOL
I have books and factory catalogs and have never heard of one either! I am currently trying to track down special Police catalogs that Ruger used to put out to see if there is a hint in there somewhere.

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll hold on to this one! :lol: