Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Ruger8r

Re: Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Post by Ruger8r »

A guy on another forum wrote that the spec for an m77 22 hornet stock screws is 60-65 in/lbs. That's a hard twist with a Fatty. But I have a Harbor Freight lever type that will handle it. That same guy said that one can actually fine tune accuracy with small changes in the relative torque between the front and rear screws. Interesting.

But the first step in accurizing any m77 22 style action has to be addressing the problem inherent in the two-piece bolt operation. With lugs at the rear, if the space between the halves is excessive, which most are, the bolt face will not align properly with the chamber and the round will be slightly canted in Ruger's generous chamber. On the used rifle I acquired recently you could see where gasses had been escaping to one side of the case head. If you grasped the bolt through the mag well while in battery you could wiggle it side-to side. The cheap and easy fix is here:
www.triggershims.com
For ten bucks you can get a pack of bolt shims that measure and correct the spacing. I highly recommend a set of trigger/sear shims, as well. They also offer the Volquartsen target sear/spring. I have installed the lot on my rifle but I can't test accuracy because all the ranges are closed here. But the trigger is def better the bolt snugs up. I'm not affiliated with the company; I just love their products and all my projects get shims. If you smith your own guns you will want to shim everything. Plus, Lance and Tammy are great people.

Yes, we are under stay at home orders and only one of us leaves the house to shop when necessary. Fortunately, we are retired and live in a nice setting next to semi-wild woods. We're doing fine. But I have a lot of time on my hands so thanks for the camaraderie and conversation.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Re: Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Post by Ruger8r »

I found the torque wrench I mentioned - $20 at Harbor Freight. Perfect for torqueing those 60-65 in/lb m77 22 hornet mounting screws.
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-Dri ... 63881.html
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector