Need Advice on Early Single Six Project

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
dandzivi

Need Advice on Early Single Six Project

Post by dandzivi »

I saw this piece on Gunbroker a while back and thought it would make an interesting project. Frame and barrel with a small bag of grip screws and some of the internal parts. The ad said it was a four digit S/N, so I jumped on it like a duck on a june bug. But alas, when the package arrived frm teh seller, the frame does not have the four digit S/N as advertised. Instead, it has S/N 122601. My sources say this is a '58 or '59 manufacture date. Either way, it will still make a nice project for this coming winter. My plans are to return it to as close to original as possible. but that's where I need help.

I make no claims to being an expert on early Single Sixes, so I would like to solicit the advice of the subject matter experts on this forum. My questions are basically which detal parts are needed to bring this OM SS back to its original configuration.

Loading Gate: Flat Gate or rounded (I believe they changed over somewhere in this timeframe.)
Grip Frame: Alloy XR3, I assume?
Grips: Black Rubber or walnut?
Ejector Housing: Steel or alloy?
Ejector Rod: Square head or the later rounded type.

Anything that I am missing, please do not hesitate to straighten me out.

I have gone through "Ruger & His Guns" & "Compliments of Col Ruger" looking for photos of other SS's near the 122601 S/N. Any photos of guns near this S/N would be a great help. Also, any leads on sources for some of the scarcer parts would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank in Advance,
Dan
Attachments
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG (161.87 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG (102.64 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG (138.9 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
ElNumeroUno

Re: Need Advice on Early Single Six Project

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Dan,
This is just my nickels worth. To put this RSS back together with the original correct parts will cost somewhat more than it will be worth. It had a XR-3 frame with black rubber grips. Steel ejector housing and I am not sure about the button.
Consider something unique, like a steel Super frame, or birdshead, or brass, or bisley. One of the 22 Bisley hammers.Whatever you put into a Custom will be a "one of a Kind".
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
ale-8(1)

Post by ale-8(1) »

Very late '58 or very early '59 if shipped in "proper" order.

Type 2 "Roundgate" with straight-slot steel ERH. Change from round "dimpled" button to round "flat face" button somewhere after 126435. Could have had walnut panels, as well.

Info from RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume One.

Looks like you're also missing the front sight? Should be the serrated "half-round" type.

Note that the reason this was available to you is because the previous owner discovered he could sell all the parts for more than the complete gun. Thus this will likely be an expensive project, as already mentioned.

:mrgreen:
dandzivi

Post by dandzivi »

Thanks for the replies!
Yes, that thought occured to me as well.
If I go the historically correct route, it will probably take quite a while to chase down all the correct parts.
I'm starting to gather some of the more common ones now. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda stuck looking for a front sight blade right now. I see XR3 frames and grips come up on eBay & Gunbroker every so often.
ale-8(1)

Post by ale-8(1) »

I'm betting someone will come up with a sight for ya . . .

:mrgreen:
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Send me an e-mail to rugerguy at windstream dot net, I have most if not all the parts you need...
and yes, it would be "cheaper" to use more 'common, later old model parts ,to do the job, that early of a gun andits XR-3 frame, black hard rubber (plastic) grips ,will be costly,I'd use an XR-3 red and make it a shooter, its NOT that great of condition to put the "big bucks" into it...just need to KNOW just what parts you gotta have......... as some of us 'note' its a "sum of the total of the parts" and worth MORE 'APART"....... :roll:

Dan