Shooting my Single Actions

Anything Ruger related.
RoninPA

Shooting my Single Actions

Post by RoninPA » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Don't act surprised, don't have a heart attack, :D I DO own some Ruger single actions.

Well, I finally got to shoot the single actions that I won this spring and bought at the July OGCA show. Went to Tyrone's place this weekend for the 9th annual Ruger East Coast Gathering. Weather cooperated and we all got some shooting in.

Shot the Bearcat (Lipseys Exclusive, Model 0916) and the sights out of the box were dead on at 15-20 yards. What a great little gun. Don't know if I want to let the wife shoot it, I might lose it and have to buy (or win) another :D

Shot the 1969 vintage Super Blackhawk (now with the correct period grips on it) that I bought at OGCA this year. Man does it shoot great and it would really move those steel plates that Ty hung for us to shoot at. I was shooting magnums and it shot like a dream. It's not going anywhere.

Oh, I did also shoot the 6" SS GP100 I bought this year and did a little work on it. Polished the internals, new lighter springs, jeweled the trigger and hammer and put Match Champion grips on it. I really like the grips and might just get a couple more sets for my other "shooter" GP's.

I really like to shoot my single actions but I'm still a Ruger DA guy at heart. In fact my Tulsa display id going to be GP-100's.

I also let a few of the folks down there shoot several of my suppressed guns (SR-22 , SR1911 and SIG SBR).
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron

flattop44

Re: Shooting my Single Actions

Post by flattop44 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. While I am a Single Action man I enjoy DAs too. Heck I carry a DA. 8-)
Bill

67stingray

Post by 67stingray » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Ron, sounds like a perfect day. I have a passion for all of them, but I will have to say that I enjoy shooting those old Single Actions the most. You've got me wanting to get out and waste some ammo. How about a pic of your custom GP100?
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.

Watertender

Post by Watertender » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 pm

Ron I hope you were not shooting at Jackie's horseradish mustard jar. I have a feeling she would not be happy! Looking forward to seeing you soon and I will have more of that mustard when I get there. Glad you had a good time at Tyrone's
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...

RoninPA

Post by RoninPA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Bennett, It's really nothing special, I replaced the springs, polished the internals and the top of the main spring strut and while everything was apart I jeweled the hammer and trigger. I now have a nice smooth 10# DA pull and a 3# SA pull. Finished by putting the Match Champion grips on it (they fit my hands very well). It came with a fiber optic green front sight and a ghost ring rear sight but I didn't really like it so I replaced the rear sight with a standard white outline blade
DSCN1053.JPG
DSCN1054.JPG
Here's the Bearcat I was shooting. It needs absolutely nothing done to it, it shoots great.
DSCN0961.JPG
Carl, I wouldn't think of doing anything to Jackies mustard. Just shot at steel plates.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron

O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Ron that sounds like a lot of fun. You can't beat the single action for a fun time.

O M CRAZY
aka Vince