purple Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Ruger8r

purple Six

Post by Ruger8r »

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/995691885

This is a 1964 Single Six from the same batch of castings as the cherry red/purple Sixes that were set aside for nickel plating but is one of the very few not selected. This poor thing has been abused, even used as a hammer, but shows some of the original color in an interesting patina. Must have been stunning when new.
It would be interesting to find out if the color could be restored with the correct bluing process. Tyler might be able to do it.
I like it a lot but not for sale to me - just sharing a rare find.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
JAYDAWG

Re: purple Six

Post by JAYDAWG »

Owen,
Curious how you know this.

"This is a 1964 Single Six from the same batch of castings as the cherry red/purple Sixes that were set aside for nickel plating but is one of the very few not selected"

I'm not home to check RENE or John's book for reference.

Thanks,
JayDawg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Hi Jaydawg,
The serial number of this beat beauty falls in the right range per the Reference and Chad has confirmed the fact along with the rarity. Works for me.
The seller has agreed to sell to CA so I'm thinking it over. I need to sell some OM Sixes.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Thanks for the reply.
I didn't remember about these and like I said, away from home.
PM me your GB name, in case I decide to bid, I don't want to
bid against you.

JaydaWg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Pardon the snark, please.
This SN came back as an RSS5X. So it's missing the mag cylinder.
I have enquired with Tyler and Turnbull about duplicating the color but have received no reply. So I think I will pass on it - I want it as a project that can be brought back to the original look. It is pretty cool the way it is.