Single Six grips

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
bruce

Single Six grips

Post by bruce »

In a hurry. Will keep this brief. Bought a Single-Six. Serial number puts it at 2004 production. Excellent on target accuracy. Have found that the grips move through the course of firing. This is in spite of the screw being pulled up snug ... even approaching German tight! Thought that possibly the grips have shrunk a bit over the years. They are in gorgeous condition. Do I need to just buy new grips? Is there a way to fix this issue that would not damage the current grips? Suggestions? Sincerely. bruce.
contender

Re: Single Six grips

Post by contender »

DON'T OVERTIGHTEN WOOD GRIPS!!!!!!!!! This is how they break from the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's possible someone replaced the grips. You can find a better fitting set.

Or you can check the grip locator pin & hole. Some folks have filled in the hole,, then re-drilled it to fit better.

Oh,, ALL my Ruger SA's get a grip spacer INSIDE the grips. A plastic sleeve over the screw,, to PREVENT over-tightening. I buy them at a hardware store. Sometimes,,I have to shave about .005 off the spacer,, as the frame final polishing makes them a tiny bit longer than the g/f. NEVER over tighten the screw.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Thank you so much for the kindness of your reply. Within the next few minutes will redo the grips w/ far less pressure. Will give attention to the other suggestions you offered. Sincerely. bruce.
contender

Post by contender »

No problem helping.

It's also possible someone wallowed out the hole to get them to fit a different grip frame at some point.

OR,,,,,,,, I have on a rare occasion,, seen a gun WITHOUT the grip locator pin installed. Usually because someone cannibalized that pin for a different g/f. Just add a pin.

Pull the grips & check the insides! (And let's hope you haven't already pulled the ferrules through by over-tightening the screw.)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Well! Well! Well! Removed the grips rather than just tightening the screw and guess what? The grip locator pin has been removed! Just plain MIA! So ... in a few minutes I will go down to Ace Hardware. I will buy a little wooden dowel which I will use as a substitute GLP until I can find and buy one. Who in the world would have ever thought someone would do such a thing?

I am also going to look for a split pin. Possibly they will have one is stock that will fit. If so, I will simply cut it down to length and install it in the grip. Then, hopefully, all I'll have to do is button everything up, grab my shooting bag and head for the range! Sincerely. bruce.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

contender wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm
OR,,,,,,,, I have on a rare occasion,, seen a gun WITHOUT the grip locator pin installed. Usually because someone cannibalized that pin for a different g/f. Just add a pin.
Contender called it!
Nothing like experience 8-)

I have used a roll/split pin before, usually just have to cut it off with a dremel tool.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
bruce

Post by bruce »

Thank God for Ace Hardware! They have just about anything you can need. There I found 8/32 screws made of nylon and brass. Never occurred to me that screws might be made of nylon. The brass were ever so slightly beyond finger pressure to insert into the grip frame. The nylon were tight requiring a screw driver. I ended up using the nylon screw since it would not deform the grip frame. Screwed the nylon screw in and trimmed the ends to length w/ a nipper. Absolutely fixed the grips moving w/o having to over-tighten the grip screw. So very thankful this fix worked! Later, if I can find a soft aluminum or brass rod that fits I'll use it as a more permanent replacement. Hope every other gun problem is as easy to correct. Sincerely. bruce.
contender

Post by contender »

A call to Ruger can get you as many grip locator pins as necessary. :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

Should have thought of that. Used the nylon screw simply as a stop gap. Figured I'd have to order a replacement from Gun Parts or Numrich. Calling Ruger makes better sense. Thank you for the suggestion. Would prefer to have it fixed w/ the correct parts. Sincerely. bruce.