Found a nice New Model Ruger Blackhawk.

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
bruce

Found a nice New Model Ruger Blackhawk.

Post by bruce »

It all began yesterday. I went to the range and had a nice time poking holes in targets with my number one most favorite hole maker ... S&W Model 18-3. Single or double action ... that thing is just a joy to hold and shoot. Got it back in 2000. Just a wonderful handgun. After finishing at the range, I wandered through the attached store chocked full of all sorts of hunting/fishing stuff and, of course, guns! I looked at engraved Colts and S&W's and I looked at a High Standard Citation complete w/ scope, etc. And then I glanced at the Glocks and some military surplus rifles. I looked at the Ruger pistols. I kept on going till I got to the revolvers.

Now, what did my eyes behold? In amongst all the Vacarro's and Wranglers and all kind of double action revolvers, I saw several Blackhawks w/ 4 5/8-inch barrels. Then ... wearing a blue tag ( i.e., used), I saw a Blackhawk with a funny odd top strap. I got hold of it and dog gone if it didn't have 50th Year Blackhawk 1955 - 2005 on top of the barrel!!! Black plastic grips w/ no scratches. I handled it a bit and then handed it back to the salesman to replace in the showcase. I went home and just did some thinking.

Today, I fiddled around here at the house doing things for my wife, etc. She had a afternoon meeting so I told her I was going up to the gunshop for a while to look around. Got there and made a beeline straight back to the showcase w/ that Ruger lying waiting on me. Not knowing I was not supposed to take the gun apart, I took it apart to check the barrel and cylinder. I was informed that customers were not allowed to do such things with the guns, so I put it back together. In the course of replacing the cylinder in the frame, I noted electro penciled numbers on the cylinder. Turns out the cylinder was numbered to the frame, something I've not ever before seen on a Ruger. Little Micro rear sight and a front sight that looks like it is either milled out w/ the barrel or else welded on or something. SA trigger pull is lighter than I expected. In fact, the whole shebang just handles like it was made for my hand!

The only smudge on the window was a few light red scabs of rust right where the ejector housing meets the barrel, front and back. These were dealt with in short order requiring nothing more than a couple of USGI cleaning patches soaked in bore cleaner. There was some rust on the right side of the hammer. Same treatment described eliminated all but a shadow. Tomorrow I'll try a little Simichrome Polish. If that doesn't work, I'll just live with it.

I field stripped the revolver and gave everything a careful going over with more USGI cleaning patches and gun oil. Guess I'll need to get some Renaissance Wax and buff it up with a nice soft cloth. That'll really bring out the shine!

I can remember when these revolvers hit the market. I had just been moved to a new pastoral appointment. I had two daughters in college. I had promised them I'd pay if they go and do their best. They kept there part of the agreement. So, I was busy taking care of my part. I had three old cars, aged 22 years, 15 years and 9 years. So, there was no money for me to buy toys. Never thought I'd ever find one of these revolvers anywhere near a price I could pay. Now, retired, what do I find? Guess it's like 2005 again!!! My wife just got home from a meeting. She looked at it and said it was really pretty. Coming from her that's high praise! This is the first single-action center-fire Ruger I've ever owned. It's a .357 Magnum, so ammo will be findable! Serial is 520-15262. The tarrif on this little hog leg ran out at $499.99 plus tax. With tax ... $529 OTD. Given the price of the new Ruger SA's, I think maybe I did alright. Anyhow it's mine! Gonna get myself some .357 brass, load up some stompers and head for the range! Thanks for letting me share about this pretty little Ruger single action. Ya'll have a wonderful evening. Sincerely. bruce.
RoninPA

Re: Found a nice New Model Ruger Blackhawk.

Post by RoninPA »

Good for you Bruce, nice find and what a great first Ruger centerfire revolver and I would consider that a good price, especially for an anniversary model. Good things happen to people who wait.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That's a good price, you did good Bruce. Let us know how it shoots.
Bill
bruce

Post by bruce »

Will get to the range as soon as possible. First ... must find a dentist ... got to find out who my insurance covers. Sincerely. bruce.
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

I enjoy the balance & the feel of the 4-5/8 357 Blackhawks!
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Great find my friend! Enjoy!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
bruce

Post by bruce »

Well, I made it to the range!!! Found a box of shells ... 10 rds. remaining. Found another box ... 12 rounds left. Then ... hit a gold mine. Found a box of shells marked $21.99 w/ all 50 rds.!!! So, I loaded everything up in a surplus gas mask bag and walked up to the gun shop/range and got myself one of those targets w/ 8 orange bulleyes. Loaded up and fired. Started at 5 yds. simply b/c I haven't fired a short barrel magnum of any sort in many many many years. Was not sure how I might do. First four shots were one inch right at the bottom of the little orange circle. Next six were 1.5 inches. These were PMC 158 gr. JSP's. Next fired the Federal American Eagle 158 gr. JSP's. My cow! Way more interesting! Had moved to 21 feet. Huge fire ball! Much louder! Have never fired magnums in a indoor range. Big difference than outdoors. Managed to keep my shots in the bullseye ... 4 inches or less. Everything was between the little center dot and the bottom of the ring ... maybe 2 inches. Fired last 8 shots one handed. Still kept all shots in the orange bullseye. Horizontal spread was no more than 2.5 inches. Unfortunately, vertical was just slightly less than 4 inches. Have not ever fired ammo with this big a fireball! Really hard to ignore. Have 30 rounds left which I will use later this week. Don't know if the sights have ever been adjusted. Thrilled that it hits center for windage. I'm going to have to work on the vertical stringing which is purely my fault. I've spent years shooting .22 LR and sometimes some .38 Specials and .45 ACP. This is going to be a learning experience. Will get pictures up as soon as I figure out the process. Sincerely. bruce.