To reblue, or not to reblue. That is the question.

Anything Ruger related.
Rickkling

To reblue, or not to reblue. That is the question.

Post by Rickkling »

I’m sure this has been addressed many times, and I’m willing to bet everyone is divided on this, but….
I have a few red eagles that have lost the majority of the bluing. I imagine there isn’t a lot of value to these with the finish gone, but if I were to have ruger reblue them with letters stating such, would they decrease, increase, or nothing at all?
One is a 3 digit gun (if you don’t count the 0) one is a type IV, and the other appears to have been in a tacklebox most of its life.
My biggest concern is that once the bluing is gone, won’t surface rust set in?
I think I’d be willing to take a small hit on value to preserve these.
Well, let’s hear it.
What say the experts?
jowdurt

Re: To reblue, or not to reblue. That is the question.

Post by jowdurt »

Hey Rick,

I have been told that a collectible gun can retain up to 90 percent of its value if the re-blue is professionally done. I bought a Red Eagle 1A that had been re-blued at Ruger. It looks real good and I am very happy with it at a fair price.

I also have a P-38 and an Artillery Luger that were meticulously refinished. Price was good, they look good and I was just not willing to pay the going price for an original 100 percent blue example.

Of all the versions of the Red Eagle pistols, I am missing a version IV. I would gladly buy one that needed refinished to fill the hole.

Best of luck,

Steve Vaughn
Rickkling

Post by Rickkling »

I have a few “common” rugers that I have had reblued (not by ruger) but to have a red eagle done is a different story.
It just seems to me that if it’s done by ruger, it would present the best case scenario.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Well......
Certainly no expert but, do what you want.
Questions for you to answer to you, NOT ME :)

Resale?
What is it worth, as is?
Would you really sell it?
Would it be cool to have a vintage Ruger you really like customised...... how YOU want it?

Maybe you should not listen to me.
I spent 3K+ to send a $500 beater to Turnbull.
BUT I LOVE IT !!!!
Cheers,
Jaydawg
Attachments
SAM_1377.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Rick, I agree with jowdurt, by your description of your Red Eagles, I think that having Ruger refinish them would be the way to go. I know that you sure will enjoy looking at them and owning them more than before the refinish.
FT44
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Ruger does a great job of rebluing. I think you will be happy with the results.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...