Fully Engraved 50th Anniv. MkII

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
4-12-2

Fully Engraved 50th Anniv. MkII

Post by 4-12-2 »

My first post everyone.

I recently purchased a gorgeous 50th Anniv. MK450, blued, fully engraved. At the bottom left corner of back strap is the signature, "J. Adams."

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this pistol?

Thanks in advance!

John
d findley

Re: Fully Engraved 50th Anniv. MkII

Post by d findley »

I don't know anything about your pistol, but I don't think this is a Factory commissioned job. I have a friend who deals in Colts. John Adams has engraved several colts for him. He is a master engraver and does a lot of work for the general public. I believe you could contact him thru the Engravers Guild. Could you post a few pictures?
4-12-2

Post by 4-12-2 »

Already did. He did it and they're sending a letter of authenticity. VERY nice people!! It was not a factory job after all, done for a custom gun shop in the south. I hope to contact them and continue to see if I can add a few more puzzle pieces.

John
chet15

Post by chet15 »

J. Adams is probably one of the two J. Adams (John Adams, Jr. was the other) who were part of the six who worked on Ruger's hand engraved Red Label project. If that's the same John Adams, Sr., then he is a master engraver who I also believe worked for Colt.
And of course...he did work in Ruger's Studio of Art and Engraving.
I believe Mr. Adams is still with us so you might google the name and see what you can come up with. He kept extensive notes on the hand engraved Red Labels they did and might be able to do the same for you on this auto.
Chet15