Lyman question

No. 1 and No. 3
zebra55

Lyman question

Post by zebra55 »

Picked up a Lyman grade II this week, which came with nothing but the gun. Serial number is 131-45XXX prefix, which is quite late in comparison to my other grade II, which came with everything, it has a prefix of 130-45XXX. It got me thinking, did any of the overruns have the engraved side panels, or is this just a grade II that lost it's case and extras???
Ruger1nut

Re: Lyman question

Post by Ruger1nut »

The overruns are very scarce and did not have any engraving. Typically they come with the scope only with just a Ruger box and no case.

Best guess is yours just lost the accessories along the way.

Some people kept the goodies and got rid of the wood case. They were big and hard to store.

Hope this helps.

Dave
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

well at least now won't feel guilty about doing the alterations I have planned for it
OldRugerMan

Post by OldRugerMan »

I hope you know - By altering it in any way you cut the value - as well as defacing a rare collectible - by at least 1/3.
Randy
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

yes, but I wouldn't consider a grade II a rare collectable as they are fairly common having 1000 made, plus this one has lost all it's accessories and has been shot. The alteration is simply having Lee Shaver add a long range tang peep and retrofitting a globe front sight to fit where the front scope mount sits using the original drilled and tapped holes. By removing the tang safety and adding 2 small drilled and tapped holes to accept the sight will be the extent of the changes. My other grade II which is as new and unfired with all it's accessories will always remain that way as long as I own it. I Just have always liked the looks of the Bill Ruger Creedmoor rifle illustrated in JD Clayton's book and wanted to make something similar....