It Pays to Read

Anything Ruger related.
arcticruger

It Pays to Read

Post by arcticruger »

A while back I posted about Ruger Instruction manuals and dating them. Some how I got the impression that there was one for every year. Seems like my 10/22s have ones that match their years anyways. So I notice a couple of my Standards don’t have matching manuals and then go post an ad in the Classifieds for a ‘62 instruction manual for same year RST4.

Anyways, I get caught up, sit down, and start reading Chad’s book. Well lo and behold right there on page 236 is a list of manuals. So I start looking and notice there is no manual for 1962 RST4. It goes from 1959 to 1964. I double check the box, and yep it’s a 59 manual.

I’ve read through this book many many times since I’ve had it. It’s one of my favorite go to books. Don’t know why I didn’t think to look for that info in there before I posted, lol. Sure pays to read… a LOT. ;)

Now I’m off to delete that ad.. :lol:
RocDoc

Re: It Pays to Read

Post by RocDoc »

Not aimed at you, just a rant: People (especially young folks) are reluctant to read, any one can learn from reading, people smarter than us take the time and effort to put their knowledge down in writing. Grateful for this. Take that accumulated knowledge and build on it! Rant off,
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

AMEN! I am voracious reader and always have been. Much knowledge is in print, and it behooves us to use it to our advantage. I am one of those people that usually retains what I read and memorize easily. It has helped me in my work and also gotten me in and out of trouble! Glad you have the proper manual for your RST4 and yes, Chad's book is the bible of the .22 pistol from the 1st to 1992. Don Findley is also a wealth of knowledge on the .22 pistol and a great guy to boot! I feel honored to be in such great company with knowledgeable people. My grandpa used to say "Hang around with people smarter than you, it rubs off"
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Love Grand Pa's advice, so true! I have known a few people in my profession I constantly encourgaged to please write it down, instead of telling it, sadly the best went away when he died, Dr. James Carter. Analyst of Lunar rock samples from Apollo 11+, trained Apollo austonaugts, worked with the only scientist Moon walker Jack Schmidt. So much knowledge and experiences lost when we check out.

Wishing for a NM Revolver book like the OM Dougan book, as well as an update on the Clayton No. 1 book.
contender

Post by contender »

Glad you were able to discover you had the correct manual!

Yep,, reading,, studying & all can mean a HUGE difference in the subtle differences in our guns.

As noted,, too many people are too lazy to read (not you,) and study stuff. They think; "I can just google it," when in reality,, a lot of stuff is NOT on google-fu!

Long, long ago,, I started chasing the actual paperwork of the catalogs, dealer price lists, export catalogs, distributor lists etc published by Ruger. By doing so,, I've managed a fair library of information. Plus,, I have all (I think) of the books published by anyone on Rugers. A library which I can use to reference things,, AND help my collecting efforts.

I always used to chuckle at Flatgates post to someone who'd inquire about something; "RTFM" God bless him & may he RIP!

And by having actual printed material,, you never know who may need something. I helped a Ruger employee a while back with some older stuff, that even the factory didn't have.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

RocDoc, Watertender is not only my name here. It is my trade that I take great pride in. My grandpa was one of those men that could fix or make anything, and my father was the same. I read and memorize things which keeps me mentally sharp, and I encourage as many young people as I can to enter the skilled trades. I have other tradesmen helping me and our results are good. Reading never hurt anyone and the Ruger material I read is astounding. The group of people on this site is amazing and I will say again how much I enjoy being part of it!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RugerfanAustria

Post by RugerfanAustria »

I can only agree with that. That was also the reason why I preferred to invest a lot of money in my books with the Ruger weapons than to have to believe some Austrian "experts".

In retrospect, it was a very good decision when I realized what nonsense was being said.

Still, I'm just as glad to have joined Rocs for questions that might not be easily answered from the books.

Best regards
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Quotes from my late mentor and teacher(RIP George......) "Buy the book, Kid...It will last forever and will be paid for the first purchase you make"(and) "......promise to pass on information at no cost to the recipient, this is what keeps collecting alive"......... 8-)