#1 Gunsmith or send it back to Ruger?

No. 1 and No. 3
3000fps

#1 Gunsmith or send it back to Ruger?

Post by 3000fps »

I'm going to send a #1 .243, that I mentioned in a previous post (#1 loose ejector), to a gunsmith to have the ejector issue corrected but more importantly I can't get the rifle to group any better then 2-3 inches. My question is: do I send it back to Ruger or find another gunsmith to do the work? Theres no one here locally that I have much confidence in and sending it back to the factory sounds like a safe bet. Does anyone have any experience with sending #1's back to Ruger for service, if not, can you recommend someone that specializes in them? Thanks
RocDoc

Re: #1 Gunsmith or send it back to Ruger?

Post by RocDoc »

Factory return FOR SURE, had great experience with all Ruger Factory dealings.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

It wasn't a #1 Rifle that a friend of mine sent to Ruger for service but a beat up Security Six .357 Magnum Revolver. He got it for $90 & it looked horrible. I would believe it had been dragged behind a truck on a dirt road & kept in a dog kennel when not being dragged. That being said it was a great revolver otherwise. The timing was good, there was no flame cutting on the frame & the inside of the barrel was clean.
He wanted it blued so we checked several local gunsmiths for a price. They all wanted $50 or more to do the work. Just for the heck of it I contacted Ruger in Newport NH for a price. They told me $35 plus shipping so I told my friend. He thought it was a good deal so we made the arrangements to send it to Ruger. Ruger sent a questionaire to put in the box to indicate the work you wanted done so we filled it out. At the time we were both employed by a State Prison so we put that in the questionaire.
2 weeks later he calls me up to look at his revolver. We were both shocked to say the least. Ruger took it as a service weapon & expedited the work. For $35 he got back a totally reworked revolver. Tied to the trigger guard was a cloth bag containing the old trigger, hammer, springs & sights. He sent it in with no grips & it came back with a new set of grips as well as all the internal work & beautifully blued. They also sent a letter saying that there was a pit at the muzzle that they could not buff out but that they found it not to be a hazard so they finished the bluing.
After seeing that happen I would have no problem sending a firearm back to them for service.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

on the ruger website under customer service. they now have a general price list for services. prices seem very reasonable
3000fps

Post by 3000fps »

I sent it back to the factory today and will post results when I get it back