10" 8 groove Flat Top

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
O M CRAZY

10" 8 groove Flat Top

Post by O M CRAZY »

I was wondering if anyone has read the latest article in the Red Eagle News regarding the 10" 8 groove Blackhawk Flat Top? For many years I was under the assumption that there were only 50 produced. Than a few years back I read there were actually 63 produced. Now, from what Chad writes, there are 76 guns reported and an estimated 321 to 500 produced! :o

I know a lot of effort and research went into this study, but I for one would like to see more guns reported to confirm his theory of 300 to 500 guns. The 76 reported to him (I hope all have factory letters) sure blows the 50 or 63 quantity out of the water, but I think 500 is a real stretch. :shock:

What is your opinion??

O M CRAZY
chet15

Re: 10" 8 groove Flat Top

Post by chet15 »

This question has come up ever since the "50" was published in Dougan's 1st Decade book.
After doing these studies, I have come to the conclusion that just because you see so few of a certain model or variation, it doesn't mean Ruger didn't make them.
Where are all the Blackguard Bearcats? There were 110 made of those so how come more aren't known? Why aren't all 61 or 62 of the 4-5/8" brass frame .41's known instead of on just a few? That gun has lots of "bling" so should be easily identified by collectors.
When Munnell's Book on rimfire pistols and revolvers came out in 1982, he was still under the assumption that Ruger only made 1,000 alphabet prefix Bearcats...I think because one never sees them. So to find in the last ten years or so that Ruger did in fact make 1,000 for each letter (less a few scrapped guns per letter), those numbers almost seem unreal, yet has been proven by Ruger's printed production numbers for those years.
Factory letters? How do you fake 10" 8-groove? And if they are faked, where did they get all those 10" 8-groove barrels with the factory address rollmarked on the barrel? And if they are faked, why would anybody fake them in their own serial number blocks that have nearly no "oddball" 4-5/8" or 6-1/2" barrels mixed in between?
And with 76 reported (150% of the 50 quantity) why have only 50% of the Jerred Engraved Single-Sixes been reported, a gun with arguably more "bling" to it than any other Ruger SA ever produced? Where's the rest of the RSSE at?
These guns are out there, it is just up to the collector to find them.
Chet15
Last edited by chet15 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Well stated Chad. Like the two 3 digit single-sixes I got with ivory earlier this year. Gentleman is soon to be 81 years of age so he decided to bring these to the show. Been in his safe 30+years. This last show he had a pair of 3 digit Hawkeyes. They are out there. Some are just hiding better than the others.
Mike722

Post by Mike722 »

and the age of computers has brought out some of these guns as well..even though slowly..!
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I agree that the 50 and 62 numbers are incorrect (especially if there are 76 reported) but 500 seemed a stretch. But if you look at the number of BKH41B's reported (at apx. 10 I know of) to the number actually produced (we believe to be 63) than we have found a little over 15%. We have also found 50% of the RSSE's, probably because they are more sort after. Looking at the 76 BKH40's reported, to the possible 500 you believe to be produced, it's a little over 15% too, and at the 321 figure we are at a little over 23% found. I can't speak for the Bearcat because I don't know how many were found.

But, I do know that it is almost impossible to get production number out of Ruger, so we go with what has been found, seen, or written about. So after looking at the numbers a little differently I feel it is entirely possible that you are correct.

There are still plenty of good collectable RUGERS out there, and with the internet I am sure we will be seeing a lot more in the future.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I agree. There are a lot of great guns still out there...we've only just scratched the surface...which is what makes Ruger collecting unique, because you can't really say that about the collectible old Colts and Winchesters. If somebody has a Colt or Winchester they automatically go to thoughts of being rare/collectible.
Chet15
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

And/or some of us "Old Guys" start to open our steel boxes..................It is getting closer............. 8-) :o
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Hawkeye28 wrote:And/or some of us "Old Guys" start to open our steel boxes..................It is getting closer............. 8-) :o
And I'm afraid if some of you "old guys" don't pry those steel cans open I'm going to catch up with you all, or run out of money before you decide to. I hope when you guys decide it's because you want to not because you have to. Stay well my friends.