Brass Frames for Old Army & New Model Blackhawks

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
flattop44

Brass Frames for Old Army & New Model Blackhawks

Post by flattop44 »

The Brass Grip frame supply for the Old Army, Old Model Blackhawk and Old Model Super Blackhawk was exhausted in the 1972-73 time frame. A new supply was announced to be available in February 1973 but I do not think that ever came to be. However, later on in 1976, due to the continued demand, Ruger evidently contemplated making Brass Frames again for the Old Army and New Model Blackhawks. I believe some of the Distributor and/or Jobber price sheets from that era may have even had them listed but they were never available. The wording and picture shown below is an excerpt from a Ruger Newsletter from August 1976. I know of only a couple of fortunate collectors who have examples of ones Ruger made to fit the New Model Blackhawk...these are probably prototypes. To the best of my knowledge Ruger never manufactured and offered for sale Brass grip frames to fit the NM revolvers. The ones in existance are indeed an extremely rare piece of Ruger history. Any of you Brass Frame Experts please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong!!

FT44

Brass Grip Frames for Old Army and Blackhawk Revolvers

Due to wear and mechanical difficulties experienced with the original tooling, the production of brass grip frames was discontinued some time ago. There appears, however, to be a strong , continuing demand for brass grip frames and we are considering the resumption of production of this part as an optional accessory. Preliminary indications are that a superior brass grip frame can be made by precision investment casting. The new grip frame would have to be priced at about $25.00 retail.
Rurer Newsletter Aug. 1976 Pic Brass Frame.jpg
Rurer Newsletter Aug. 1976 Pic Brass Frame.jpg
Coogs

Re: Brass Frames for Old Army & New Model Blackhawks

Post by Coogs »

I'll take all I can carry at 25 bucks each!
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

I have written an article about the Ruger Brass Frame, part number MR3DB to be published in the next issue of the ROCS Digest. It contains the same information that .44 Flat Top has posted. I own a pair of the prototype New Model Brass Frames
They are not for sale, but show the validity of what Bill has stated. Because Ruger tried to make the "New Model" brass frames by a different method of casting, the frames were deemed unfit for sale. You will have to wait and read my article for further information. Brass Frame/Lee E
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Brass Frame wrote:I have written an article about the Ruger Brass Frame, part number MR3DB to be published in the next issue of the ROCS Digest. It contains the same information that .44 Flat Top has posted. I own a pair of the prototype New Model Brass Frames
They are not for sale, but show the validity of what Bill has stated. Because Ruger tried to make the "New Model" brass frames by a different method of casting, the frames were deemed unfit for sale. You will have to wait and read my article for further information. Brass Frame/Lee E
Great! Want to to learn more Ruger history!
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Bill

To my knowledge you are correct. I have the news letter you refer to and one of the proto types, but once again (to my knowledge ) they were never offered for sale. I am sure Lee's coming article will have more information on them.

O M CRAZY
Vince