Ruger #3

Rommel

Ruger #3

Post by Rommel »

I recently purchased a Ruger #3 in .222 Rem. The barrel has the 200th year stamp. Did Ruger make any 200th year #3's. Could this be a Hornet barrel with the chamber reamed out to 3 deuce? Function is flawless and it shoots sub minute groups, so I am not complaining. Very curious however.
ElNumeroUno

Re: Ruger #3

Post by ElNumeroUno »

The No.3 was not known to have been made in the .222 Rem. A picture of the caliber stamp would be the first thing I would like to see. The No.3 was made for about 15 years, from about 1971-72 until 1986.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Ruger No.1

Post by Ruger No.1 »

The No. 3 in 22 Hornet was very common in 1976 and could be rechambered to .222. The No. 1 was chambered in .222, but was dropped from the catalog in 1970. I'd like to see what the caliber stamp looks like, but I'd bet it is a custom barrel or rechambered gun.
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Thanks. The 200th year stamp should make it an original barrel (therefore the Hornet conversion) . The .222 stamp is a machined flat on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the action. I'd love to send pics, but don't know how to do that yet.
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

The machined flat makes it a rechamber.
Pictures are easy. I take it with my cell phone; email it to myself; save it to my computer and then just upload it straight to the post. "Upload Attachment" is the button you will use. Pictures can't be too big size wise.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Thanks for the good advice and help fellows. I'll do the photo bit and see how it goes.